Trekking in Nepal during November
Trekking in Nepal in November
November is a much better month to go trekking in Nepal. This is because the monsoon should be long gone by November. However, there is rainfall for a couple of days every month, both post and pre-monsoon, and sometimes freak weather occurs every few years.
The daytime temperatures are warm below 1500 meters, cool up to 2500 meters, and warm/cool above 2500 meters. Therefore, you can do most treks during November. This is ideal for regular treks such as Annapurna Circuit with Tilicho Lake, Everest base camp, Mardi Himal, Annapurna Base Camp, and Upper Mustang.
It pays to invest in the right equipment, such as a suitable down jacket, sleeping bag, a couple of layers of fleece, the right thermal underwear, thick hiking socks, gloves, trekking pants, warm hats, and essential gears. It is always better to have more than less.
It is good to dress up in layers, which you can ‘peel’ one at a time when you start to warm/heat up as you begin trekking. You can hike in shorts in the lower to middle altitude areas.
Benefits of Trekking in Nepal Himalaya during November.
This is the fall season; some flowers are still blooming in the middle of Nepal. The clouds can begin to form during the late afternoon. However, the colder weather should make the clouds stay low longer and descend quicker in the late afternoons.
The trekkers will be seen in significant numbers on the trail and in the lodges during November.
- You will be warm to hot while hiking during the daytime.
- You will meet plenty of other trekkers on the trail and lodges.
- You can socialize with a lot of people.
- The views should be fantastic for most of the day.
Can I do a high-altitude trek in Nepal in November?
You can undoubtedly do a high-altitude trek in Nepal during November. This is a better time to do a high-altitude hike than in February or March. However, you can expect some snowfall in the higher elevations, but this should melt quickly due to the warmth and humidity. We do receive some precipitation for a few days every month. We receive more massive snowfalls during February and March rather than in the middle of November.
Dangers/Inconveniences of trekking in Nepal during November.
There can be a few days of rain in the lower elevations while snowfall on the higher grounds. If you come across a landslide area, do the following:
Landslides can be dangerous; walk briskly with utmost caution when you cross landslide areas on the trail. DO NOT stop to take photos in the middle of the landslip area. Instead, two or more of you cross the landslide area while the other person looks out for falling rocks.
- Lodges can be full of trekkers, even sleeping on the dining tables, benches, and floors. There have been times when trekkers had to walk for two to three hours more than intended/planned, as all the lodges were full.
- The WIFI speed could be frustratingly slow due to the number of users.
- You can use the Internet (if it is not too slow) for weather forecasts and temperatures.
- There could be a lot of people queuing for hot showers.
- You might find the lodges are full and might have to walk to the next village to find a room in a hostel.
- The lodge owners prefer two persons to share a room as they make more money from the food they sell.
- The rush of Deepavali celebrations can make it difficult to get bus and flight tickets at the last minute.
- Fog can delay and disrupt domestic flights in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
November 2020 – The weather was excellent this year, with clear days most of the month apart from the usual 3-5 days of monthly rain/snowfall, depending on the altitude.
November 2019 – The temperatures followed the previous year with colder temperatures with some cloudy days and some days of precipitation.
November 2018 – The temperatures have been colder than usual this autumn season. This year the weather was cloudy in the early morning during the first two weeks. The views were excellent in the early mornings in the middle altitude, but the mountains got covered quite early – sometimes as soon as 7 am. Some rainfall took place on different days in different parts of the country. The weather improved and stayed clear for most of the day during the last week of the month.
Check out our Trekking packages for Nepal, Bhutan, India, and Tibet.