Trekking in Nepal during October
Trekking in Nepal in October
Most tour operators claim October to be the best month for trekking in Nepal. This statistic was accurate 25 to 30 years ago. These days the monsoon can linger around longer. Cyclones could disturb the weather in the Bay of Bengal, sometimes resulting in unseasonal snowfall, which has proven fatal. The most recent tragedy occurred in October 2014, caused by Cyclone Hud Hud.
The daytime temperatures are warm to hot below 1500 meters, up to 2500 meters, and warm/cool above 2500 meters. Therefore, you can do most treks during October, and it is advised to choose higher altitude treks for cooler temperatures. This is an ideal time to do regular treks such as Annapurna Circuit with Tilicho Lake, Everest base camp, Mardi Himal, Annapurna Base Camp, or go for more adventurous walks such as The Upper Dolpo Circuit or Upper Dolpo Traverse or Upper Mustang as these regions are in the rain shadow.
It pays to invest in the right equipment such as a suitable raincoat or even an umbrella, sleeping bag, a couple of fleece layers, right thermal underwear, thick hiking socks, gloves, trekking pants, and warm hats name a few essential gears. It is always better to have more than less.
It is good to dress up in layers, which you can ‘peel’ one at a time when you start to warm/heat up as you begin trekking. You can hike in shorts in the lower to middle altitude areas.
Benefits of Trekking in Nepal Himalaya during October.
This is the fall season; some flowers are still blooming in Nepal’s middle and high hills. However, the clouds can begin to form during the late afternoon, and it can start raining at the lower altitude and snow in the higher elevations during the late afternoons. This could be a good thing to clear the clouds and clear the clouds for excellent mountain views the following day.
- The trekkers will be seen in significant numbers on the trail and in the lodges during October.
- You will be warm to hot while hiking during the daytime.
- You will meet plenty of other trekkers on the trail and lodges.
- You can use the Internet (if it is not too slow) for weather forecasts and temperatures.
- A lot of people could be queuing for hot showers.
- You can see villages ripening crops such as rice and millet.
Can I do a high-altitude trek in Nepal in October?
You can undoubtedly do a high-altitude trek in Nepal during October. This is a better time to do a high-altitude tour than in February or March. However, you can expect some snowfall in the higher elevations, but this should melt quickly due to the warmth and humidity. We do receive some precipitation for a few days every month. We receive more massive snowfalls during February and March rather than in the middle of October.
Dangers/Inconveniences of trekking in Nepal during October.
Trekking trails can still be muddy and slippery. Be careful of wet roots while trekking through forests. Again, leeches might come out when it rains, in moist areas in early October, or when it rains. For prevention, you can make a small pouch of rock salt and chewing tobacco. You can dab the bag on the leeches when they get on your boots, clothes, or you. You need to dip the bag in water to moisten it is more useful this way. Some people burn the leeches or use Dettol or regular salt. However, the rain can wash them off, making rock salts and chewing tobacco mixture an excellent choice.
Landslides can be dangerous; walk briskly with utmost caution when you cross landslide areas on the trail. DO NOT stop to take photos in the middle of the landslip area. Instead, two or more of you cross the landslide area while the other person looks out for falling rocks.
- Start early in the morning to avoid the afternoon rains. There usually is a pattern when it starts to rain. Study it for a couple of days or speak to the lodge owners.
- The WIFI speed could be frustratingly slow due to the number of users.
- Lodges can be full of trekkers, even sleeping on the dining tables, benches, and floors. There have been times when trekkers had to walk for two to three hours more than intended/planned, as all the lodges were full.
- The leeches start coming out in elevations below 2400 meters when it rains.
- The mountains remain clear only during the mornings mostly.
- It can be hot and humid in lower elevation areas.
- Insects in the lower altitude areas can bite you – bring along the proper insecticide.
- October is autumn; However, rains could disrupt domestic flights to or from Short take-off and landing strips (STOL) airports like Lukla, Jomsom, and Juphal.
- Landslides can block roads causing delays in your holiday program.
- Foggy weather in the valleys of Kathmandu and Pokhara can delay flights.
- There is a massive exodus of migrant workers from Kathmandu during the Hindu Festival of Dashain (it can be next to impossible to get bus seats and when you are close to the main festival days, even on domestic flights.
We experienced heavy rainfall in the first week. After that, we had continuous rain from the 17th to the 20th of October, which caused landslides and floods in the nation.
The precipitation was caused by the combined influence of two weather systems that developed a week after the exit of the monsoon. As a result, the eastern and far-western regions of the country were severely affected by the torrential rains.
October 2020 – The monsoon rains receded from the second week on schedule.
The monsoon rains lingered much longer this year. It affected the flights to Lukla and Jomsom until the second week of the month. In the Everest region, there was unseasonal rain/snowfall.
The first week of October experienced clear weather in the mornings, but the clouds rose early, and mountain views were covered by 9 am as the monsoon lingered on with rains in the afternoons and evenings. Later, flights to Lukla and Jomsom were cancelled due to cloudy weather for five days in the first week of October. In the second week of October, Nepal experienced a drop in temperature. It dropped further in the last week due to the Western disturbance, which gave the coldest October temperatures in seven years.